Search site

Your home

This article gives you information about your new home and managing it.

When you accept the keys for your new home you will sign a legal document called a Tenancy Agreement. The tenancy agreement is the most important document you have for your new home. Your Community Housing Officer will have gone through it with you when you signed it and will have highlighted the main rights you have as a council tenant and also your responsibilities. 

When you start a new tenancy the property should meet pdf icon this standard. [42kb].

Moving house

Moving house can be stressful. The checklist below may be helpful in making sure you don't forget anything important

  1. Check that you have a key for every door lock; Front and back doors, Close/common entrance door, Bin store, Laundry
  2. Check where the meters are and take readings as soon as you move in - tell the relevant gas and electric companies that you are the new occupier and tell them the readings.
  3. Check whether the meter takes cards or tokens and decide how you want to pay. If you want to use a different method of payment contact the gas or electricity company to make your own arrangements.
  4. Check that the water, gas and electricity supplies are switched on and working. If they are not report them to the local office immediately.
  5. Test the water stop valve.
  6. Make sure that you know how the central heating system works - if you have any problems get in touch with your Housing Officer.
  7. Test the smoke detector.
  8. Check that all the windows will open and close and that you can operate any window locks.
  9. Check you have an exit route in the event of fire.
  10. Take out Insurance and Insurance Claims. Check that your policy covers you for claims from a third party, e.g. if your washing machine leaks and floods the flat below.

More information available on the pdf icon Preparing for your new home [107kb] leaflet

If your circumstances change

You need to tell us if your housing needs change. For example;

  • your household has changed (e.g. a birth or someone has moved out/in)
  • you need your home adapted to meet your needs (e.g. grab rails or a stair lift)

You can tell us about any changes by using the contact details on this page.

Ending your tenancy

If you wish to terminate your tenancy, you must give us at least 28 days notice. You can do this by completing the pdf icon vacating your property [57kb] form and returning this to any Customer Information Service (CIS) , Housing Officer or email to Your Housing Officer will then contact you to arrange a property inspection and discuss any rent or charges due.

For more information, see the Changes to your home page.