Advice and guidance for Home safety
- Asbestos - What you need to know This page gives information on asbestos - what it is, why it is a problem and how it should be dealt with
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Information on Carbon Monoxide detection.
- Free Home Security for Pensioners Scheme The Home Security Project has been delivered since 2000 by West Lothian Council. Its purpose is to offer a range of simple home security measures to pensioners living in West Lothian.
- Gas Servicing and Maintenance West Lothian Council has a legal duty to ensure that gas appliances, gas piping and flues provided for tenants use are well maintained and safe.
- Smoke Alarms The smoke detector is designed to give early warning of developing fires by detecting smoke that comes into its sensing chamber.
- Whole House Electrical System Safety Check
- Water Hygiene The importance of water hygiene While rented premises are generally very low risk it is important to implement measures to assure the hygiene of the water supply. This is because some diseases can be transmitted though inhaling water droplets contaminated by bacteria. Such diseases cannot be passed from one person to another or by drinking. This leaflet aims to give you information on what precautions you can take within your home. Please read this leaflet carefully.
- Gas Escapes Any gas escape is considered and emergency. This is defined in the Gas safety (Installation and Use) Regulations. This article advises how an escape should dealt with.