Search site

What should I bring to my appointment

It is your responsibility that you bring all relevant documents as per the Home Office Guidance.

  1. A completed Home Office Application form. The application form is available to download form the  Home Office Website, where there is also guidance notes and a requirements booklet to help you complete your application. 
  2. The original copy of your successful "Life in the UK" test certificate (Naturalisation only) - You can book this test on the Home Office website: This will not be returned.
  3. All the necessary documents as explained in the application form guidance notes at Home Office Website .

It is your responsibility to ensure you have all the relevant documents at your appointment.

Important Information

You must have been physically present in the UK, not out of the country on holiday or business, at the start of the qualifying period.

This means that you must have been present in the UK at the start of your qualifying period on the day of your appointment, please ensure that you have checked your dates and that you were not out of the country either on holiday, visiting relatives overseas or away on business.

  • 5-year qualifying period You must have had ILR for at least one year before the date of your appointment
  • 3-year qualifying period You must be married to a British Citizen, there are no time restrictions for ILR

You must provide sufficient evidence of your lawful residence during the qualifying period, either three years or five years. This can be your travel document, passport/s. You must bring any previous cancelled passport(s) with you.

If you do not have passports to cover the required residency period, you will need to supply documentation to cover your residency, documentary evidence for each year of the residency period, P60s or letters from your employer or an up to date letter confirming payment of benefits (or a combination of these). For more information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.

EEA National applications must be submitted with documentary evidence of your residence during the qualifying period of either six years or five years if married to a British Citizen.  From 12 November 2015, EEA Nationals must be in possession of a permanent residence card in order to apply for naturalisation.

As of November 12, 2015, the Home Office will only accept an English language qualification that is on the Home Office's list of approved tests as evidence that you have met the requirement to hold a B1 level English qualification.  This must be taken at a Home Office approved test centre.

In addition to this requirement, you are still required to pass the Life in the UK Test to demonstrate your knowledge of life in the United Kingdom.

The documents that you bring with you will be photocopied and the originals will be returned to you (except your life in the UK certificate). 

If you cannot supply all the relevant evidence requested at your appointment, this may stop your application being submitted and will incur additional costs to book another appointment.

if you application is unsuccessful West Lothian council will not a refund.

It is your responsibility to check that you are eligible for naturalisation before making your appointment.

You are also responsible for ensuring that you bring all the correct documentation with you.