This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Tree preservation orders

Trees for TPO  

Advice can be given regarding trees which are in a conservation area of which are protected by a tree preservation order (TPO). The council's Development Management service can provide guidance advice about conservation areas and TPO's. You may need permission to do works to a protected tree. For further information, please contact the Development Management office on 01506 282456.

If you are proposing to do works to trees in a Conservation Area or which are subject to a Tree Preservation Order please apply using the following application form.

Tree work application form (new window)


Updated 11/10/11

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

Do I always need permission to work on a tree that is protected under a tree preservation order?

Yes, any tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) cannot be lopped, topped of felled without permission.

Does a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) only cover individual trees?

No, a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) can cover not only individual trees, but also groups of trees and woodland.

How will I know when the Planning Authority makes a tree preservation order?

You will be notified if you are the owner of the property which is subject to renew a TPO and they will be advertised in the local paper.

What can happen to me if I carry out work on a protected tree without permission?

If you carry out work (e.g. lopping, pruning, cutting down) on a tree covered by a Tree Preservation Order without permission, the council has the power to take action to stop the work and may require you to replace any damaged trees. You may also be prosecuted by the Sheriff Court.

What is a tree preservation order?

A Tree Preservation Order (TPO) is a device used by Planning Authorities to protect existing trees or woodland in the interests of amenity because the Council considers they contribute to the area. It means you are not allowed to lop or prune a tree with a TPO unless you have obtained permission from the council.