- Social Care and Health
- Asylum, immigration and citizenship
- Care and carers
- Childcare and Family Care
- Children & Young people - advice, support and activities
- Community transport
- Criminal and Youth Justice Service
- Disabilities and adapting homes
- Domestic violence - DASAT
- Grants for disabled people
- Health and medical information
- Health and safety
- Help for adults
- Home care
- Information Sharing
- Mental health
- Parental support
- Services for older people
- Social Care Emergency Team
Grants for disabled people
If you are an owner/occupier, grants are available for adaptations to the home to make your life easier - please refer to the Referral Process below.
Referral process for an Occupational Therapy Assessment:
- A referral can be made by anyone
- If under 65 years of age please contact 01506 282252
- If over 65 years of age please contact 01506 776700
- You will receive confirmation of your request in writing and will be contacted to arrange a visit within 6 weeks of your request. Urgent emergency requests can be assessed within 7 days
Assessment Process: A detailed assessment will be carried out by a member of the Occupational Therapy staff and options and alternatives will be considered to meet your needs. You will receive a copy of this assessment and if you have any queries or concerns you will be able to contact the Occupational Therapist concerned.
Grants Process: If your adaptation requires grant funding, the Occupational Therapist will seek authorisation for this request and make a recommendation on your behalf to the Grants section. You will also be given a copy of this letter of recommendation.
The Grants section will progress your application. They will require documentation to prove ownership of your property with the Occupational Therapy letter of recommendation.
From 1st April 2009, disability grants increased from a minimum of 50% to 80% of the recommended work. An additional 20% is available if the applicant is in receipt of certain benefits. The Grants section will advise you how much grant you will receive towards the adaptation. They can be contacted on 01506 281377.
Further information on adaptations to a property for People with a Disability can be viewed in the Housing section - please click here (new window).
If you are over 60 years of age, your grant application can be managed by Care and Repair West Lothian - contact them on 01506 424148.
On completion of the agreed work the Grants department will advise the Occupational Therapist who will check that the work meets your assessed need and may provide additional equipment to use with your adaptation.
Note that some small adaptations - e.g. handrails and banisters - can be provided free without an assessment. For an Occupational Therapy Self-Selection booklet, please call 01506 775608.