- Licences for businesses
- Employment byelaws for children and young people
- Licence - Knife Dealer
- Licences window cleaners - business
- Licences - Booking Offices
- Licences - Hackney carriage (taxi)
- Licences - Hackney carriage (taxi) driver
- Licences - Hire Car Enforcement
- Licences - Late Night Catering
- Licences - Skin Piercing and Tattooing
- Licences - credit provider
- Licences - markets
- Licences - metal dealers (door-to-door)
- Licences - private hire driver
- Licences - private hire vehicle operator
- Licences - second hand goods
- Licences - storage of petroleum
- Licences - street trading
- Metal dealer- site licences
- Storage of explosives - premises licence
Licences - metal dealers (door to door)
Metal dealers who buy and sell metal on a door-to-door basis must hold an 'Itinerant Metal Dealer's Licence'. The Licensing Team working in partnership with other council services and the Lothian and Borders Police adminsters the licensing scheme.
Licences are granted under section 32 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and permits the holder to carry on business as an itinerant metal dealer anywhere in Scotland.
The definition is found in section 37 of the Act –
“Itinerant metal dealer” means a person who carries on a business which consists wholly or partly of buying and selling for scrap waste materials and old, broken, worn out, defaced or partly manufactured articles made wholly or partly of metal which he collects by means of visits from place to place and which he disposes of without causing them to be kept in a metal store or other premises (either by keeping them himself, or by disposing of them or giving custody of them to a person who keeps a metal store)
Metal store is also defined in section 37 of the Act as “a place where metal is received or kept in the course of a metal dealer’s business.”
If you are operating as a metal dealer in West Lothian you either require a metal dealer’s licence granted by West Lothian Council or an itinerant metal dealer’s licence granted by another Council within Scotland depending on the nature of your business. Metal dealers should take legal advice regarding the requirements for licences.
Section 36 of the Act states that a person carrying on business as a second hand dealer and as a metal dealer or itinerant metal dealer needs both a metal dealer’s licence or itinerant metal dealer’s licence and a second hand dealer’s licence.
You should be aware that part of the application process is a mandatory background check carried by the Lothian and Borders Police. Further information about the licence process may be obtained from Licensing Team on 01506 281632 , or by e-mail. This licence is valid throughout Scotland.
Applications forms may be downloaded below.
Fees for a licence application or renewal received before 1 April 2013:
- Initial Grant (1 year) = £67.00
Renewal (1 Year) = £51.00
Fees for a licence application or renewal received after 1 April 2013:
- Initial Grant (1 year) = £69.35
Renewal (1 Year) = £52.79
Applications which do not attract any adverse comments /objections are determined by the Chief Solicitor under delegated powers. Decisions on all other applications are made by the Licensing Committee.