Cemetery and Burial Grounds
West Lothian Council manages and maintains all council owned cemeteries, churchyards and war memorials. We offer a fully comprehensive service to anyone requiring advice or assistance with this matter.
We also make provision and arrangements for Muslim burials.
The cemeteries staff provide a comprehensive burial service to the public.
They deal with the sale of lairs, interments (or burials), and issue permission to put up headstones.
Fees and Payments effective from April 1st 2013
- Sale of Lairs - standard: £453.85
- Sale of Cremation Lairs: £91.08
- Internment Fees - Adult: £453.85
- Internment of Child (0-5 years): No Charge
- Internment of Child (6-18 years): £94.19
- Internment Fees - Cremated Remains: £64.69
- Certificate Charges: £18.11
- Erection of headstone applications 3 feet high and under: £46.58
- Erection of headstone applications over 3 feet high: £76.59
- Erection of headstone applications 3 feet high and under (Adambrae, Livingston, Kingscavil, Linlithgow, Woodbank Armadale, Fauldhouse extension, Hermand Park, West Calder): £77.63
- Erection of headstone applications over 3 ft high (Adambrae, Livingston, Kingscavil, Linlithgow, Woodbank Armadale, Fauldhouse extension, Hermand Park, West Calder): £112.30
- Adambrae Memorial Planters - 10 Year Lease: £315.16
- Adambrae Memorial Planters - 20 Year Lease: £373.12
The charges for services outwith normal hours (i.e. 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Thursday, 9.30am to 2.30pm Friday and 9.30am to 11.00am Saturday and on specified Public Holidays) will be increased by 50% and services on Sunday and other Public Holidays will be increased by 100%
- Arrange interments within 24 hours of receipt of full details
- Keep burial and lair registers records and make these available for the public to read during normal office hours
- Pre-sell lairs, where cemeteries have sufficient capacity and are unrestricted
- Ensure that sufficient cemetery provision is made to allow West Lothian people to be buried within West Lothian if they so wish
- Provide special facilities for Muslim burials and the interment of babies
- Advise customers of any restrictions applying to the erection of headstones and memorials, tributes or other items which may be left on lairs and give authorisation to erect approved headstones or memorials within five working days of receipt of an application
- Leave floral tributes in place for at least 30 days after an interment and keep other tributes such as teddy bears for at least 30 days after interments
- Treat the deceased and their relatives sensitively and with proper consideration and respect
- Ensure the Council's cemeteries are always tidy and well maintained
Telephone 01506 282490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to search the burial records and registers to trace where someone has been buried please contact the Cemeteries team on 01506 282490. You can also visit in person to our office:
West Lothian Council
NETs and Land Services (Cemeteries Office)