This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Applying for a primary school place


There are currently 66 primary schools in West Lothian.  The authority is divided into catchment areas for primary and secondary schools.

Each school is either denominational (linked to a particular religion) or non-denominational (not linked to any particular religion).  All the denominational schools in West Lothian are Roman Catholic.  Each home address has a catchment denominational school and a catchment non-denominational school, for both primary and secondary education.

Details of all the primary schools can be obtained by clicking on the Online Tools link to Schools List on the right.  The catchment area of a school can be found by selecting the relevant school.

Information on enrolment procedures can be found in the Pupil Placement and Admission - Primary Policy on the right.

Updated: 28/10/2013

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

How can I find out what my catchment schools are?

Every address has four catchment schools, a denominational primary and secondary and a non-denominational primary and secondary. In West Lothian, all demoninational schools are Roman Catholic. Pupil Placement will list your catchment schools on any letters they send you. A School Cathment document listing the streets which fall into a school's catchment area can be found by clicking on the School List on the right and selecting a relevant school. You can also phone or email pupil placement to find out what your catchment schools are (telephone 01506 776002 or email

How can I update Pupil Placement if my application details change or if I move house?

All changes must be given in writing. You can send a letter or an email, giving your child's name, date of birth and the details of the change. Letters should be addressed to Pupil Placement at West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, EH54 6FF or email

How do I apply for a primary school place for my child?

You should fill in an application form for your child even if you are applying for a place at your catchment school. If you apply for a place at a non-catchment school then this is called a 'placing request'. If you are applying for a P1 place for your child beginning in August, you should fill in a form and return it to the Pupil Placement section by the end of the December before your child is due to start school. If you are applying for a place at any other time, then you should fill in a form and hand it in to your first choice school. Forms are available from nursery schools, primary schools and from the Pupil Placement section at West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, EH54 6FF (telephone 01506 776002)

Is my child guaranteed a place at his or her catchment school?

There is no guarantee although every effort will be made.

What happens when my child is due to transfer from primary to secondary school?

If your child is in P7 at a West Lothian Council primary school, then your child will be given an application pack to bring home in late November. You should fill in the form and return it to the Pupil Placement section by the end of December.