This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Complaints Procedure


West Lothian Council Complaints Procedure


West Lothian Council is committed to providing high-quality customer services. We value complaints and use the information from them to help us improve our services.  If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.


The following information describes our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint.


What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.


How do I complain?

You can complain in person at any of our offices, by phone, in writing or email via our complaints form. It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about. Then they can try to resolve any problems at this time. If you want to complain about a business or service that the Council regulates then you must do this in writing.


Our contact details

Please contact us by the following means:

·         In person at any Council Office

·         By phone on 01506 280000

·         By email at

·         In writing by filling in the online Complaints form or by writing a letter to:


Customer Service Centre

West Lothian Council

Civic Centre

Howden Road South


EH54 6FF


When complaining, tell us:

·         your full name and address

·         as much as you can about your complaint

·         what has gone wrong

·         how you want us to resolve the matter


What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has two stages:


Stage One: resolution

We will always try to resolve your complaint quickly, within five working days if we can. If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can ask us to consider your complaint at Stage Two.


Stage Two: investigation

We will look at your complaint at this stage if you are dissatisfied with our response at Stage One. We also look at some complaints immediately at this stage, if it is clear that they are complex or need detailed investigation. We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days. We will give you our decision as soon as possible. This will be after no more than 20 working days unless there is clearly a good reason for needing more time.


The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

If, after receiving our final decision on your complaint, you remain dissatisfied with our decision or the way we have handled your complaint, you can ask the SPSO to consider it.  We will tell you how to do this when we send you our final decision.


Contacting the SPSO

In Person:                         By Post:

SPSO                                  SPSO

4 Melville Street                   Freepost EH641

Edinburgh                            Edinburgh

EH3 7NS                              EH3 0BR


Freephone: 0800 377 7330

Online contact:


Mobile site:


The following documents are available to download from the links provided below:

·         “How to make a complaint” leaflet

·          West Lothian Council’s Complaints Handling Procedure.



 March 2013

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

Is there an independent, impartial organisation that can investigate my complaint against the council?

We will make every effort to resolve any problems or complaints that you may have about the council or any of our services. However, on the rare occasions when people remain dissatisfied they can ask the Public Services Ombudsman to look into the matter. Scottish Public Services Ombudsman 4 Melville Street EDINBURGH EH3 7NS Tel: 0800 377 7330 Fax: 0800 377 7331 Text: 0790 049 4372 Email: Web:

What can I do if I am unhappy about the decision on my planning application?

You have a right of appeal against the decision on your planning application to the Scottish Ministers. The Inquiry Reporters Unit is an independent body and will deal with such an appeal. Additionally, if you are unhappy about the way an application has been handled, you can contact our complaints service.