If you are on a low income you may be entitled to some help to make ends meet. You could be entitled to benefits or tax credits whether you are working, unemployed or unable to work.
Our trained advisors can help you to find out what you are entitled to and assist you to make your claim. The Advice Shop offers free and confidential information, advice, advocacy and representation to all West Lothian residents.
We also offer specialised services depending on your circumstances, such as the Macmillan Advice Team and the Pensioner Income Maximisation Service. Ask your advisor for more details.
What We Do
- Benefit checks
- Help to fill in claim forms
- Assistance to appeal unfair decisions and representation at your tribunal
- Help to resolve problems with your benefits and tax credits
- Am I struggling to pay my bills and make ends meet?
- Do I already get any benefits and/or tax credits?
- Am I getting the correct amounts?
- Do I have a health problem that impacts on my day to day life?
- Am I worried about how changes to the benefit system will affect me?
If you have answered 'YES' to any of these questions, we can help. Please contact us for more information.
What We Need to Know
If you would like us to check your entitlement to benefits and tax credits, we will need to know the following information
- Details of everyone who lives in your household
- Income details for you and your partner if you have one. Please include a breakdown of any benefits you already get
- Any childcare costs you need to pay
- Your total rent charge either weekly or monthly
- If you have a mortgage, the total amount outstanding
- Your Council Tax band
- Total savings or capital that you have - this includes any property or land that you own, other than the home you live in