Scottish Welfare Fund
In April 2013, as part of the Welfare Reform changes, responsibility for crisis grants and community care grants, which are currently managed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), will be transferred to local councils.
From April 2013 West Lothian Council will manage Crisis and Community Care Grants through the Scottish Welfare Fund.
Scottish Welfare Fund: To apply online click here (new window) .
SWF - Myth Buster click here.
The DWP deals with certain payments including Sure Start Maternity grants, Funeral Payment, Cold Weather Payments and Winter Fuel payments. ____________________________________________________________________________________
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is a Community Care Grant?
A. A Community Care Grant is awarded to:
- Help people establish themselves in the community following a period of care,
- Help people remain in the community rather than going in to care,
- Help people set up home in the community, as part of a planned resettlement programme, following an unsettled way of life,
- Help people to care for a prisoner or young offender on release on temporary licence,
- Help families facing exceptional pressures and who lack the resource to meet irregular costs to provide a safe and secure environment,
- Travel expenses if the Local Authority judges that a journey is essential in connection with a crisis or in support of independent living.
Q. What is a Crisis Grant?
A. A Crisis Grant can be awarded to meet expenses that have arisen as a result of an emergency or disaster in order to avoid serious damage or serious risk to the health or safety of you or your family.
Q. Who can get a Community Care Grant or a Crisis Grant?
A You may be able to get a Community Care Grant or a Crisis Grant if you are aged 16 or over and normally in receipt of:
- Income Support,
- Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance,
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance,
- Any type of Pension Credit,
- Universal credit,
- Payment on account of one of the above, but this is not essential.
Q How is Community Care Grant's and Crisis Grant's paid?
A Community Care Grant's are paid mostly in goods, and Crisis Grant's are paid by Post Office bar coded vouchers