Licences - second hand goods
If you wish to sell second hand goods including used cars you will need to apply for a Second Hand Dealers Licence. This licensing scheme is administered by the council's Licensing Team in partnership with other council serivces and the Lothian and Borders Police. Businesses that require a "Second Hand Dealers Licence are:
- Stamp Dealers
- Second Hand Book dealers.
- Antique Dealers.
- Second hand Jewellery dealers.
- Dealers in Second Hand Furniture.
- Dealers in Second Hand Electrical and/or Gas Goods.
- Dealers in Second Hand General Goods.
- Used Motor Vehicles (Used cars)
Second hand motor vehicle dealer's licence relates to all second hand motor vehicle sales and as such includes:
- motor cycles
- motor scooters
- vans, lorries and other commercial vehicles
- caravanette / dormobile type vehicles (self powered caravans)
Fees for a licence application and renewal received before 1 April 2013:
- Initial Grant (1 Year) = £114.00
- Renewal (1 Year) = £85.00
- Temporary = £78.00
- Exemption = £28.00
Fees for a licence application and renewal received after 1 April 2013:
- Initial Grant (1 Year) = £117.99
- Renewal (1 Year) = £87.98
- Temporary = £81.77
- Exemption: £28.98
- Initial Grant (one year) £114.00
- Renewal (one year) £85.00
- Temporary £78.00
- Exemption fee £28.00
- Fire Safety Information for Licence Applications (excluding Liquor and HMO) (PDF, 14.1kb)
- Miscellaneous Licensing Fees 2013/14 (PDF, 51kb)
- Second Hand Dealer Application Form (PDF, 147kb)
- Standard Conditions - Second Hand Dealer (PDF, 32.2kb)
- Standard Conditions - Second Hand Dealer Motor Conditions (PDF, 44.4kb)