This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Council Housing


Council housing in West Lothian consists of a mixture of houses, flats, and sheltered housing.

Your local housing team provides a full housing service to customers in your area. This service includes:

  • Repairs - inspecting and ordering
  • Rent collection
  • Letting empty homes
  • Mutual exchanges
  • Estate management - including looking after the areas around council owned homes
  • Dealing with anti-social behaviour and neighbour complaints
  • Dealing with non-payment of rent
  • Tenancy matters - making sure that tenants stick to the terms of their tenancy agreement

For full and detailed information on all tenancy related issues and the most frequently asked questions - including those mentioned here, please refer to the Tenant Handbook 2012 within the 'Downloadable Documents' section at the bottom of this page.

How to make a complaint

If you are unhappy with the service or a decision provided by Housing,Construction and Building Services, or you would like to comment on our service, you can click on the guide and form to the left of this page to raise an issue with us.

The Scottish Housing Regulator has published a leaflet called ?Complaints and Significant Performance Failures?, which explains the difference between a complaint and a significant performance failure and who you should report it to. You will find this leaflet at the bottom of this page in the 'downloadable documents section'.

Paper copies of this leaflet are available from all Customer Information Centres and online at

Housing Strategy and Development

The Council's Housing Strategy and Development Section is responsible for a number of key aspects of service delivery to the community within West Lothian.

The section is involved in the following matters:

  • Social housing new build programme
  • Housing capital improvement programme
  • Fuel poverty initiatives
  • Housing improvements and repair grant schemes
  • Council house sales
  • Funding adaptations to private sector houses where people had a specific need
  • Occupational therapy assessments
  • Provision of aids to daily living through the Community Equipment Store based at St.John's Hospital
  • Provision of Housing With Care and sheltered housing
  • Provision of 'Smart Technology' to enable physically frail and disabled people to continue to live in their own homes


Applying for a Council House - West Lothian Housing Register

There are three partners of the West Lothian Housing Register who are Almond Housing Association, Weslo Housing Management and West Lothian Council. You only submit the one application for the three partners of the Register. You select which of the partners you wish to be considered by. There is no limit on how many you select.

Non - Housing Repairs 

Housing and Building Services non-housing works consists of a large variety of projects.


Our service information leaflets are available in the Downloadable Documents section.

Updated - 20/02/2013

young couple

West Lothian Home Choice

West Lothian's Private Housing Search Portal (externally hosted site)
Online payments

Online payments

Pay your council tax and other council bills.
Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance

A new way of working out and paying Housing Benefit for tenants of private landlords.
young couple

West Lothian Home Choice

West Lothian's Private Housing Search Portal (externally hosted site)
Pay your Council Tax Email information service click here for councillors' surgeries Click here for information on benefit changes