- Council Tax
- Council Tax - Account Enquiries
- Council Tax - Arrears
- Council Tax - Banding
- Council Tax - Billings, Payments and Refunds
- Council Tax - Charges for Water and Waste Water
- Council Tax - Disabled Person Reduction
- Council Tax - Energy Efficiency Discount Scheme
- Council Tax - Liability
- Council Tax Reduction
Council Tax - Billings, Payments and Refunds
You can now choose to receive your Council Tax bill electronically rather than receiving a paper copy through the post. Everyone can benefit from the following advantages when using e-billing:
- An environmentally friendly method of administration,
- a cost efficient process in terms of saving money on paper, envelopes and postage,
- a faster method of communication, and,
- a 'reply to sender' facility to e-mail any questions that arise from the bill, back to the Revenues Unit.
In addition, all e-bills include a hyper-link to the council?s online payments facility. This allows you to make a payment with the money being sent to the council?s bank account and your Council Tax account being credited.
To register for e-billing please click the link on the right and confirm that you wish to receive your future Council Tax bills by email.
How to pay your Council Tax
You must pay as stated in your payment instructions on the front of your bill. If you do not pay as instructed, action will be taken against you to collect the arrears.
This is a simple, safe and convenient way to pay your Council Tax. If you want to pay by direct debit please call the Revenues Unit on 01506 776982 to set up your direct debit over the telephone.
Your bank or building society offers you the security given by the Direct Debit Guarantee:
- If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change the council will notify you 5 working days in advance of your account being debited.
- If an error is made by West Lothian Council or your bank or building society you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid. If your receive a refund you are not entitled to you must pay it back when West Lothian Council asks you to.
- You can cancel a direct debit at any time by writing to your bank or building society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.
You can pay your Council Tax by debit or credit card:
- Click on online payments.
- Call our automated telephone payment number 01506 282407. any day, any time, or
- Visit any of the Council Information Service Centres listed below.
Please quote sort code 800880, bank account number 00918781 and your Council Tax account number.
Council Tax Payment Card
You can pay by card at the following locations:
Council Information Service Centres:
- Armadale - 1/3 East Main Street
- Bathgate - Bathgate Partnership Centre, South Bridge Street
- Broxburn - Strathbrock Partnership Centre, 189a West Main Street
- Linlithgow - County Buildings, High Street
- Livingston - Carmondean Connected, Deans; or
- West Lothian Connected, Almondvale Centre
- West Calder - 24-26 Main Street
- Whitburn - 5 East Main Street
Opening times vary between Council Information Service Centres (new window) .
You can pay your Council Tax at any Post Office.
You can pay your Council Tax at any outlet where you see the 'Payzone' sign.
If paying at a Council Information Service Centre, Post Office or Payzone please make sure that you or the person paying for you is given a receipt. You should keep the receipt in case you need it later. Please also make sure that the payment card is given back, as you will need this to make future payments.
If paying by cheque at a Council Information Service Centre it should be made payable to 'West Lothian Council'. If you are paying by cheque at the Post Office it should be made payable to 'Post Office Counters Ltd.' Your cheque should also be crossed and your Council Tax reference written on the back.
Note: You do not need your payment card to pay at a Council Information Service Centre but you must have it to pay at the Post Office or Payzone outlet.
Important: Do not send cash or your payment card through the post.
Please send to:
St David House
South Bridge Street
Your cheque or postal order should be crossed and made payable to 'West Lothian Council'. Please remember to write your Council Tax reference on the back.
If you have paid too much money to your Council Tax account and pay by Direct Debit we aim to refund this money directly back into your bank account within 5 working days. If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit we aim to refund this money to you by cheque within 10 working days of you requesting this from us in writing. We do not issue refunds in cash.
Note: As a matter of course we will check to see if you have any other accounts outstanding to the Council. If you have we may take all or part of your refund to to pay these accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question to see the answer.
Yes, you should contact the Revenues Unit on 01506 776982. The dates available are the 8th, 16th, 24th or last day of the month.
We do not issue Council Tax refunds in cash. We will send you a cheque.
If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit you can choose to pay over 12 months rather than the statutory 10 months.