This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Council Tax Reduction (previously Council Tax Benefit)


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Redcution can be claimed by contacting the council.

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit which are administered by Local Authorities on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Council Tax Reduction helps people on low incomes to pay their Council Tax.

Housing Benefit helps people on low incomes with their rent. There are two kinds of Housing Benefit:  

  • Rent Rebate for council tenants
  • Rent Allowance for private tenants

People who are on low incomes can get help to meet the cost of their rent by applying for housing benefit.

You can be a council tenant, a tenant of a housing association, a tenant of other organisations such as WESLO, a tenant of a private landlord or a boarder or a lodger.

You don't have to be unemployed or retired to claim - anyone on a low income can claim.

For more information you can contact the council's Revenues Unit on 01506 775000 or 01506 776800 or the council's Advice Shop on 01506 776444.

In West Lothian these benefits are administered by the council's Revenues Unit.

You can also write to us at:

The Benefits Team
West Lothian Council
Revenues Unit
St David House
South Bridge Street
EH48 1TT

Complaints Procedure

Problems can arise without our knowledge so we welcome the opportunity to put matters right. If you are unhappy with the service we have provided or we have not done something we said we would, please click here (new window) to let us know.


Updated 14/04/2013

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

How much discount is available through the Second Adult Rebate on Council Tax?

Depending upon the level of the second adult's income, you may be able to claim up to 25% discount on your Council Tax.

I have lost my job and can't pay my Council Tax. What should I do?

You may be able to claim Council Tax and Housing Benefit. Contact us immediately.

What is a second adult rebate on Council Tax?

A second Adult rebate on your Council Tax may give you a discount of up to 25% on your Council Tax payments. You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you have non-dependants living with you who are on a low income.

Who can claim a Second Adult Rebate on their Council Tax?

If there is someone else living in your home with you, who is a non-dependant and who is on a low income, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate. You will be required to provide proof of the second adult's income.
Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance

A new way of working out and paying Housing Benefit for tenants of private landlords.
young couple

West Lothian Home Choice

West Lothian's Private Housing Search Portal (externally hosted site)
How the local plan shapes our environment

Empty Homes

Empty Homes - What are the options?
road map

West Lothian Local Housing Strategy

Housing Need and Demand
Pay your Council Tax School holiday activities click here for councillors' surgeries Click here for information on benefit changes