Council Tax - Discounts
You will get a discount on your Council Tax if:
- there is only one person aged 18 or over living in the property;
- or nobody is living in the property.
When deciding how many adults live in a property, we do not count certain people.
Some people are not counted when deciding how many adults are living in the property.
- Full time students, student nurses and Youth Training Trainees under the age of 25.
- Apprentices earning less than £195 per week.
- Over 18 year old and child benefit is still in payment.
- People who are resident in a hospital or care/nursing home, receiving Long Term Care.
- People who are severely mentally impaired.
- People who care for someone they live with and the person being cared for is not their partner or child under 18 years of age.
- People who are paid to care for someone, are not paid any more than £44.00 per and live in a property provided by their employer for better performance of their work.
- People who are in prison.
Note: Further conditions may exist before the persons named above can be considered for a discount in Council Tax. For further information please contact 01506 776800 or email us at email@example.com
If your circumstances change, you must tell us within 21 days.
By law West Lothian Council must protect the money we manage. We will share information you give us with other organisations responsible for auditing or managing public funds, to prevent and detect fraud.
We will review awards of discount and exemption and reserve the right to use credit reference agencies to validate any such awards.
Click here to see further information regarding National Fraud Initiative (new window)
Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question to see the answer.
Council Tax is calculated on the assumption that there are two adults living in the property. If only one person lives there, you are entitled to a 25% discount. If the property is not anyone's main residence. You may get a 10% discount.
Yes, as long as you have the necessary proof, you can claim backdated Council Tax discount.
Changes of occupancy of less than six weeks is not considered significant for Council Tax so there is no need to inform us of this change.
A copy is acceptable for the supporting evidence, if you send in an original this will be copied and the original returned to you.