Supported and sheltered housing - housing benefit
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction can be claimed by contacting the council.
Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefits which is administered by Local Authorities on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Council Tax Reduction helps people on low incomes to pay their Council Tax.
Housing Benefit helps people on low incomes with their rent. There are two kinds of Housing Benefit:
*Rent Rebate for council tenants
*Rent Allowance for private tenants
People who are on low incomes can get help to meet the cost of their rent by applying for housing benefit.
You can be a council tenant, a tenant of a housing association, a tenant of other organisations such as WESLO, a tenant of a private landlord or a boarder or a lodger.
You don't have to be unemployed or retired to claim - anyone on a low income can claim.
For more information you can contact the council on 01506 775000 or 01506 776800 or the council's Advice Shop on 01506 776444.
In West Lothian these benefits are administered by the council's Revenues Unit.
You can also write to us at:
The Benefits Team
West Lothian Council
St David House
South Bridge Street
Problems can arise without our knowledge so we welcome the opportunity to put matters right. If you are unhappy with the service we have provided or we have not done something we said we would, please click here (new window) to let us know.
- A Guide to Housing Benefit and to the new Council Tax Reduction Scheme (PDF, 602KB)
- Benefits Customer Satisfaction Survey Results 2010-2011 (PDF, 69.5KB)
- Direction by Chief Executive (PDF, 81.4KB)
- Help with Rent & Council Tax for Pensioners (PDF, 236KB)
- Housing and Council Tax Benefit Application Form (PDF, 5.4MB)
- Pre-tenancy Determination Form (PDF, 28KB)
- Revenues - Customer Feedback, Comments and Complaints (PDF, 32kb)