This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Older people - bus passes


Bus and Rail Travel Permits

Anyone who is permanently resident in West Lothian and who is either aged 60 or over will qualify for a National Entitlement Card offering free travel at all times on all bus services (except premium fare night buses, tours and excursions) throughout Scotland and to Berwick upon Tweed or Carlisle. Reduced rate travel on rail services at off peak times to and from West Lothian is also available.  Full details of these concessions can be found in the following document:

A companion permit is also available for anyone registered blind, on high or middle rate Disability Living Allowance, in receipt of attendance allowance or a letter from a care/residential home certifying that the entitlement card holder cannot travel alone.

Application forms are available from West Lothian Connected in Livingston, Council Information Offices or libraries - a passport sized photograph is required and appropriate proof.

Please note that National Entitlement Cards are printed outwith West Lothian and then posted out so applicants should allow at least 14 days for processing.

Further information can be obtained from Customer Services -
Tel: 01506 280000 or email:

updated: 04/07/13

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

Can I use my travel card to travel on buses outside the local area?

Yes, you can use your Travel Card to travel free on scheduled long distance coach travel anywhere in Scotland.

What else do I need to provide along with my application for a travel card?

Along with your completed application for a travel card, you should bring a passport sized photo, proof of age/disability and proof of address.

Who is eligible for concessionary travel?

You are eligible for concessionary travel if you are a resident of Scotland and: aged over 60; if you are blind or partially sighted; or if you are disabled.