Road Closures and Diversions
As part of our ongoing partnership with the Scottish Government and other Local Authorities we now post all information regarding road works, closures and diversions in West Lothian on the Scottish Road Works Register which can be found online using the following link:
Please click (Road Works Scotland (new window)) to view all road works, closures and diversions: Road Works Scotland
To use the link simply click on the Location Search and enter the street name or town to find out information on the Road Works happening in that area
Diversion routes are set up when roads or footpaths are closed to re-direct traffic. It is a legal requirement that in order to close a public road you must have Roads Authority permission, which generates a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order.
We prefer to keep the roads open and would only close the road as the last remaining option. We will consult with the emergency services and other public bodies before deciding to close the road.
Public Utilities Service Info
The Scottish Roadworks Register will provide details of all Statutory Undertakers and Roads Authorities Roadworks.
Any external Contractor wishing for service information prior to excavating should contact Map Info on 0870 350 1360
It is a legal requirement for the lighting section to keep records of our lighting and signal network and make them available free of charge to anyone who legitimately requires them.
How to apply for a Road Closure
There are 2 types of road closure. One type deals with a period of up to 5 days closure and the other deals with over 5 days. It will take 4 weeks to process an application for a 5 day closure and 6 weeks for anything over 5 days (due to the legal requirement for this road closure to be advertised in local press).
You need to contact the Roads Maintenance Service to give full details of location, reason, dates, duration and the physical extent of works that require the road to be closed. This is a lengthy process and must meet the legal requirements of a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order.
Charges for this process will be made at actual cost price.
We aim to:
- Comply with the Transport Scotland Act 2005, where we are responsible for the co-ordination of works affecting our public roads and footways within West Lothian.
- Minimise disruption and enhance public safety during works deemed necessary on our roads and footpaths by close and regular liaison with Statutory Undertakers and others intending to carry out work.
- Monitor the quality of reinstatements in order to reduce the risk to the travelling public, protect the value of our public roads and minimise the council's exposure to risk arising from liability claims.
- Strive to minimise the number of road openings, optimise use of road closures or restrictions, and curtail operations to lessen disruption.
- Supervise the activities of those carrying out work to / or affecting our public roads to ensure that closures and restrictions comply with relevant regulations and codes of practice and to ensure the safety of both the travelling public and that of workers.
- Collate and provide information, to those intending to carry out work to / or affecting our public roads, about the recorded locations of underground and overhead apparatus, to minimise the risk of serious incidents.
- Acknowledge receipt of a complaint with a letter to the customer within 5 days and respond to the customer within 10 working days or longer if agreed between the service representative and the customer before the completion of the 10 day timescale.
- Evaluate enquiries within 5 working days of receipt and will respond to customers within 10 working days.
7 Whitestone Place
Whitehill Industrial Estate
Tel: 01506 775000
Fax: 01506 775099
(Give your name, address and telephone number/point of contact during working hours if available and outline your enquiry. A member of staff will be asked to get back to you.)