- Planning - policies, advice and service levels
- Biodiversity and the environment
- Development planning - contacts
- Information and Statistics
- Planning - advice and guidance
- Planning - policies
- Planning - policies: supplementary planning guidance
- Planning - policies: supplementary planning guidance on developer contributions
- Planning - service and performance
Planning - service and performance
Development Planning & Environment service standards are to:
- Provide the strategic policy framework for the planning, transportation, economic and social development activities of the council, the community and the businesses in West Lothian.
- Maintain an up to date development plan for the council area.
- Carry out and promote projects and initiatives in support of the strategic policy framework.
- Ensure that sustainability and the environmental agenda are integral to the work of the council.
- Take a key role in implementing the council's e-government agenda.
This involves a whole range of specialist services and activities. To ensure appropriate levels of performance we have set service standards for our key areas. These are subject to continual monitoring and review with a view to maintaining and improving our standards.
Customer Care and Complaints
We have a procedure for dealing with any formal comments or complaints relating to our service and have produced a statement of the level of care customers can expect.
- Planning Services Customer Care Focus Strategy 2011
Customer Survey Results
In December 2006, Planning Services introduced a continuous customer satisfaction survey, which gathered feedback on the service we provided.
In May 2009, as part of Planning Services' focus on continual improvement, the Planning Services Customer Insight and Consultation Strategy was created and implemented.
The strategy stipulated that all surveys within Planning Services take the form of a general customer satisfaction survey, with question sets standardised to allow easier identification of best practice and service failures.
The surveys ask customers about the quality of service they receive in a number of areas, including whether they have received and understood the information we provide, and have any views of its accuracy. Feedback from surveys is invaluable in helping us improve the range, content, relevance and quality of service we provide. Communication methods and options can also be improved in the light of the feedback from surveys. Surveys are undertaken in a variety of methods including on-line, paper surveys sent out with applications, questionnaire at County Buildings front counter etc. Surveys always contain sections where customers can make complaints or other comments on the service.
In May 2010, Planning Services proposed that all service improvements, including those resulting from customer feedback, be included in the Planning Services Improvement Plan. All identified improvements are monitored via West Lothian Council's Performance Management System (Covalent).
Customer Survey Results - 2011
In March/April 2011, all service areas (excluding Education Planning) carried out a customer satisfaction survey, and results indicated that in all areas service improvement was achieved. There was a 20.3% response rate, with approximately 200 responses received.
- 83.2% of respondents rated Building Standards or Development Managements overall level of service as Good or Excellent
- 83.3% of respondents rated service you received compared to what you needed as Good or Excellent
- 77.9% of respondents rated how well the service handled any problems that arose from your request as Good or Excellent
- 71.9% of respondents rated how easy it was to contact us as Good or Excellent
- 75.6% of respondents rated the promptness of the service?s response to your request as Good or Excellent
- 75.9% of respondents rated the service?s ability to resolve your issue at the first point of contact as Good or Excellent
- 71.9% of respondents rated our speed in returning telephone calls and replying to letters and emails as Good or Excellent
- 84.0% of respondents rated our punctuality when attending meetings as Good or Excellent
- 70.3% of respondents rated our promptness in processing documentation as Good or Excellent
- 72.2% of respondents rated the service?s performance in keeping you informed of the progress of your request as Good or Excellent
- 74.7% of respondents rated how accurate and comprehensive the information on other relevant council services as Good or Excellent
- 72.6% of respondents rated Building Standards/Development Managements ability to give information on other relevant council services as Good or Excellent
- 66.0% of respondents rated our explanation of any terms and obligations contained in any documentation as Good or Excellent
- 68.5% of respondents rated the clarity of our published and promotional material as Good or Excellent
- 86.3% of respondents rated the staff?s knowledge and skills and dealing with your request as Good or Excellent
- 86.0% of respondents rated the staff?s attitude towards you as Good or Excellent
- 90.3% of respondents rated how courteous our staff was as Good or Excellent
- 84.0% of respondents rated how helpful our staff was as Good or Excellent
Please take a few minutes to add your comment to the survey (new window) .