Local Development Plan
Under the terms of emerging legislation from the Scottish Government, the council will be required to prepare a local development plan (LDP) for the area. The LDP will set out development patterns at a local level for West Lothian and will implement the terms of the Strategic Development Plan (SDP).
The council is required annually to publish a Development Plan Scheme document that sets out the programme for preparing, reviewing and consulting on the LDP. On 29 January 2013 therefore, the Council Executive approved a replacement Development Plan Scheme document to that approved in February 2012. The new Development Plan Scheme No.5 for the LDP has also been submitted to Scottish Ministers. It can be viewed below and is accompanied by a questionnaire. It sets out how we intend to proceed with the LDP and also includes a Participation Statement. We would welcome your views on its content.
- West Lothian Local Development Plan Scheme No. 5 (PDF, 850KB)
- West Lothian Development Plan feedback form (PDF, 130KB)
Please complete the above form, save, then attach and send to the Development Plan team at email@example.com Thank you.
NB Please ensure that Adobe Reader is as up-to-date as possible and has permission to save these forms before filling out. If it does not save, please print out and send to:
Colin Miller, Development Planning Manager, FREEPOST SCO4880, West Lothian Council, County Buildings, High Street, Linlithgow, EH49 7EZ.
Find out about latest progress on the Local Development Plan.
Call for sites
As part of the process in producing the LDP, a Main Issues Report (MIR) must be published. To help with this process the council undertook a call for sites between 28 January and 6 May 2011 and received 225 submissions in all, 20 council owned sites of which were removed by the Council Executive on 28 June 2011. The 'call for sites' process was agreed to be undertaken by the Council Executive on 11 January 2011 and it was considered that having an early indication of potential development sites available for various uses would benefit preparation of the MIR. The link to that report is provided below:
- Report to Council Executive January 2011 (new window)
- Report to Council Executive June 2011 (new window)
As part of the preparatory work on the MIR, all sites will be assessed on their own merits and in the context of the strategic requirement for new housing land and other land uses, in addition to identifying and assessing any constraints. Strategic requirements for housing land are set out in the Strategic Development Plan, prepared by SESplan - the Strategic Development Plan Authority.
Please note that the sites submitted for consideration as part of the call for sites process does not guarantee that the site will move forward for inclusion and allocation in the West Lothian Local Development Plan.
The list of sites submitted (minus the sites removed by the Council Executive of 28 June 2011) in numerical order is provided in the first document below:
- List of sites received under expression of interest procedure (new window) (new window) - (PDF, 200KB)
Detailed information on the sites submitted relating to each settlement from those listed in the above database can be found at the links below:
For ease of use we have applied a bookmark facility for the allocated number to the site. (You will find the bookmark icon from the side bar on the left).
- Addiewell (new window) - 0.2MB
- Armadale (new window) - 4MB
- Bathgate part 1 - 8MB
- Bathgate part 2 (new window) - 3MB
- Blackburn (new window) - 2.2MB
- Blackridge part 1 (new window) - 8.9MB
- Blackridge part 2 (new window) - 1MB
- Breich (new window) - 1.5MB
- Bridgend (new window) - 1.7MB
- Broxburn (new window) - 5.7MB
- Dechmont (new window) - 1MB
- East Calder (new window) - 1.7MB
- East Whitburn (new window) - 1MB
- Ecclesmachan (new window) - 1MB
- Fauldhouse (new window) - 1.2MB
- Kirknewton (new window) - 0.5MB
- Linlithgow part 1 (new window) - 6MB
- Linlithgow part 2 (new window) - 4MB
- Livingston - part 1 (new window) - 7MB
- Livingston - part 2 (new window) - 4MB
- Livingston - part 3 (new window) - 4.2MB
- Longridge (new window) - 1.4MB
- Mid Calder (new window) - 0.3MB
- Newton (new window) - 1.4MB
- Philpstoun (new window) - 3MB
- Polbeth (new window) - 0.5MB
- Pumpherston (new window) - 1.3MB
- Seafield (new window) - 1.6MB
- Stoneyburn (new window) - 1MB
- Threemiletown (new window) - 2MB
- Torphichen (new window) - 0.8MB
- Uphall (new window) - 4.5MB
- Uphall Station (new window) - 1.1MB
- West Calder (new window) - 4MB
- Westfield (new window) - 1.4MB
- Whitburn part 1 (new window) - 6.5MB
- Whitburn part 2 (new window) - 4.3MB
- Wilkieston (new window) - 2.6MB
- Winchburgh (new window) - 6MB
- Other West Lothian sites (new window) - 1MB
All sites have been reported to the council's Local Area Committees for their noting. Officers are now engaged in the process of assessing these sites.
Expression of interest sites - late submissions
The council recieved a number of submissions after 6 May 2011, that were not reported to the Council Executive on 28 June 2011, that are also being assessed.
- Late submission 0001: Armadale (PDF, 2MB)
- Late submission 0002: Station Road, Kirknewton (PDF, 500KB)
- Late submission 0003: Harthill Road, Blackridge (PDF, 700KB)
- Late submission 0004: Breich (PDF, 6MB)
- Late submission 0005: Benthead, Fauldhouse (PDF, 500KB)
- Late submission 0006: Breich (PDF, 200KB)
- Late submission 0007: Blackburn Road, Bathgate (PDF, 250KB)
- Late submission 0008: Loganlea
- Late submission 0009: Land south west of West Calder (PDF, 550KB)
- Late submission 00010: Houston Holdings, Uphall (PDF, 115KB)
- Late submission 00011: Land at 8 Houston Mains Holdings (PDF, 150KB)
- Late submission 00012: Bridgecastle (PDF, 700KB)
- Late submission 00013: Land at Boghall east, Bathgate (PDF, 600KB)
- Late submission 00014: Former abattoir, Whitburn Road, Bathgate (PDF, 250KB)
- Late submission PJ001: Land at Whitrigg, East Whitburn (PDF, 700KB)
- Late submission PJ002: Land at Foulshiels Road, Stoneyburn (PDF, 460KB)
- Late submission PJ003: Addiewell Northern Salvage Auto Auctions (PDF, 400KB)
Please note that the period for submission of sites has now ended. Any further submissions received will not be the subject for formal assessment in order to allow attention to focus on the preparation of the Main Issues Report.
Map of Expression of Interest Sites
The map provides a general location for all Expression of Interest Sites, including late submissions. Original Expression of Interest Sites are highlighted in red, Late Submissions sites in green and blue and Withdrawn Sites are in yellow.
Would you like to find out more?
You can register an interest on the West Lothian Local Development Plan and subscribe to our future electronic Development Planning newsletter by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any queries should be directed to the council's contacts below as follows:
Fiona McBrierty, Principal Planner, Development Planning, 01506 282418 or email@example.com
Steven McLucas, Planning Officer, Development Planning, 01506 282425 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Lovell, Planning Officer, Development Planning, 01506 282430 or email@example.com