- Roads and Pavements
- Considerate Contractor Scheme
- Damaged and dangerous paving reporting
- Road works - Closures and Diversions
- Roads and Pavements - Access to property
- Roads and Pavements - Adverse Weather Plans
- Roads and Pavements - Damaged and Dangerous Paving
- Roads and Pavements - Maintenance
- Roads and Pavements - Markings, Signs and Traffic Calming Measures
- Roads and Pavements - New Developments
- Roads and Pavements - Permission to Occupy
- Roads and Pavements - Regulations and Limits
- Roads and Pavements - Road Permits
- Roads and pavements - disabled parking
- Roads and pavements - street trading
Roads and Pavements - Road Permits
West Lothian Council's Roads Maintenance will supply permits for skip hire, erecting scaffolding and hoarding, placing a storage container and cabins, cranes, hoists and access towers on a publicly owned road. We also provide permits for opening up a road or footpath for dropped crossings such as vehicle access.
All permits (excluding skips) can only be given direct to the Contractor. The Contractor must have public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier.
Skip Permits can only be supplied to the skip company
When applying for any permit the Contractor must supply exact dates and locations for the occupancy.
Although we are developing this site to include online forms and payments, currently all permits have to be collected and paid for in person from Operational Services, Roads Maintenance, Guildyhaugh Depot, Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EB (the preferred method of payment is by cheque or credit card)
Cost of Permits
- Skip Hire Permit: £17.08 - Permits available from Hire Companies
- Drop Crossing: £33.12 - per permit up to 3 months
- Road Openings, Crossings & Excavations: £47.09 per permit
- Crane & Cherry Pickers Permit: £33.12 - per permit up to 3 months
- Hoists and Towers Permit: £16.56 - per permit up to 3 months
- Section 109 Permit: £102.98 (The contractor has to give exact dates and locations for the occupancy)
- A Road - £78.66 per permit up to 6 months
- B Road - £60.03 per permit up to 6 months
Storage Containers/Cabins Permit:
- A Road - £60.03 per permit up to 6 months
- B Road - £33.12 per permit up to 6 months
- Recharge for damage to council roads, structure and assets - Full cost recovery per job
- Fixed Penalty Notices - £120.00 Per defect
- Inspection Charges, billed quarterly - £18,816.00 per annum
- Defect Inspections - £33.00 per inspection
To find out what classification a Road is please contact the Customer Service Centre, stating the exact location and they will refer you to the Roads Maintenance Department who will advise you.
We aim to:
- Issue the necessary permit, which will be made available during working hours at our business address, to the improved Contractor.
- Inspect completed dropped crossings to ensure that these have been constructed in accordance with the specification provided.
- Carry out an initial evaluation within 5 working days of receipt of an application for a drop crossing/vehicle access. This will involve an inspection of the proposed site to ensure the access position complies with the safety of road users. We will then respond to customers within 10 working days.
- Where the application is successful, formal notification will be issued as above with an information pack giving standard details and specification.
Please contact the Customer Service Centre
Roads Maintenance, Guildyhaugh Depot, Blackburn Road, Bathgate, EH48 2EB
Tel: 01506 775000
Fax: 01506 776568